EXAM STRESS: Tips to relax and relieve stress!

As it is the time of year when you have a million exams and coursework hand ins, you are most likely going to become increasingly stressed. Being stressed is a natural thing and no one should worry or feel like they are not normal if they get stressed.

However, it is when stress is taking over your life and stopping you from doing things you love the most, when you need to take a step back and think about things. When I was doing my GCSEs this time last year, the main thoughts I had in my head were;
"What will happen if I don't pass?!" "I will completely screw my life up" "How am I going to find the time to revise for 14 serious exams?!"

All of these horrible thoughts were going through my mind! When in reality, I was making myself more stressed because I was worrying non-stop!
One key tip that I think is vital to becoming less stressed or not stressed at all is; "If you do the work you are stressing about, then you will become less stressed." Also; "Use the time when your stressing to actually do the work you are stressing about!" You can argue that this is easier said then done... but to me, that saying is just an excuse. Everything is going to be hard work before you actually do it... the only thing that is holding you back from doing anything is psychological thoughts like ... "What if!?..."

You need to train your brain into banishing these psychological thoughts and helping yourself overcome these barriers and stress.
It is also vital to take time out of work and revision and give yourself a break. If you are constantly doing revision, then you're not going to benefit from it at all. You need to give your mind a rest in order for it to maintain the knowledge and facts you need for your exams. It's like your mind is in a marathon, if you do not have a little rest from running, then you are going to just get out of breath and pass out, that is the exact same for your brain regarding revision. I know that one thought that goes through my mind at all times when I have exams to revise for is... "I should be doing work, not relaxing!" You begin to feel guilty if you are not looking at a text book and relaxing instead... but then you have to think to yourself... "I am only human and when I think I need a rest.. I need a bloody rest!" It's your bodies way of saying... you need a rest! 

So follow some of my tips to relax yourself and relieve yourself from stress... think about the exams after.. just clear your mind and relax :)

My tips to relax and relieve stress:
  • Have a bubble bath with candles and soft, quiet music... maybe even pamper yourself with a face mask!
  • Relaxed breathing: when you begin to feel stressed, your chest will start to feel tight and it will feel like you can't breathe at all. This could be signs of a panic attack, so you need to treat these signs immediately in order to reduce the risk of a panic attack! It is really simple, JUST BREATHE! Get comfortable, sit up, close your eye and breathe deeply in and out at a slow and steady pace. Concentrate on your breathing. 
  • Be active: If you are feeling stressed exercise can help. You don't have to do a marathon, just simply go for a nice slow walk outside... clear your mind and just walk. You'll be surprised how much this actually helps! 
  • Self empower: Take control of your thinking! Do not let your passive thinking take over your life... Think less of "I can't do it" and think more of "I can do it, it may take some effort but I can!" 
  • Share your problems: Talking to people helps. Literally talk to anyone you feel comfortable with... unload your problems.... a problem shared is a problem solved.
  • Eat healthily: A happy healthy mind will do some happy thinking!
  • Lastly, BE POSITIVE! Just smile and soon enough you will see the light at the end of the tunnel! 
I really hope this has helped in any way! Stress is a horrible thing, which everyone experiences, so you are not alone and there is always light at the end of the tunnel! KEEP SMILING, BE HAPPY AND LIVE THE ADVENTURE OF LIFE! 
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) 

Comments

  1. The most important thing to do before the exam is to relax and get rid of stress. Because stress has such a negative effect as short-term memory impairment. And then all that you have learned will be in vain.
    These tips seem very good to me! I'm very fond of drawing and painting on sketches, so I consider it the best distress. More about learning stress and how to overcome it can be read in this infographic. I keep it as a reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Back to Top