University Survival Guide

If you're starting university in September, you may be wondering what it is actually like. I'm going to give you a university survival guide from someone who has lived at home for uni! This might come in handy for you...

1: Don't bother writing down EVERY word you hear in a lecture
When I started university in 2015, I was one of those students who attempted to literally write down pretty much everything that was included in the lecture. I didn't even read back on my notes. I think most 1st year students do this but trust me, it lasts around 2 days then you realise how pointless it is. If you really do want to document everything that is said in a lecture, simply record it and save your hand from cramps! 

2. Try to take your own food for the day
My university cafe is certainly not cheap (for a uni cafe that is) also there isn't much choice. If you have a gluten allergy at my uni, you have no chance. Everything is just white bread with a sad filling that tastes like disappointment. Take your own little snacks or pop to a supermarket instead. Most people say that they put on weight when they go to university and live in halls but trust me, you will put on weight even if you live at home. You find yourself snacking constantly just to fill the breaks or to fuel your endless amount of uni work. 

3. Choose your friends wisely
For my course I have to do a lot of presentations and group work. You'll soon realise that group work at university is basically a living hell. When you start university you are completely chucked into the deep end and you need to suss everyone out quickly. I luckily met someone on my first day who I am still really good friends with now and also someone else who I met in the second week of uni. I would have not been able to do uni without these two! However, I have had my fair share of arguments and enemies... it naturally happens but it needs to happen in order to understand who you work best with. 

4. Public transport is your worst enemy ... prepare yourself
If you are living at home or your campus isn't on site then you will be doing your fair share of travelling. It takes me around 2 hours on the bus to get to uni but only around 20 mins in a car. For my first year I had to get the bus, but luckily this year I have had Rich to take me. You will soon realise how horrible school kids are (a small minority are nice though)... they crowd the whole bus, have zero respect for anyone and drive you crazy. Not the ideal thing when you're travelling on the bus for 2 hours for a 9 hour day at university. 

5. Create your own deadlines
If you have a deadline set change it to a week earlier, this'll make you work faster and be able to submit it early knowing that you can make changes etc. Do not leave all of your work until the last minute... a degree isn't the kind of thing you can do the night before. Start it 3 months before the deadline because you are going to have about 5-10+ other things to do on top of it. 

Are you starting Uni? 
If you have any questions,  leave them in the comments below and I'd love to answer them! 

Comments

Back to Top