I Feel Invincible

"One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away." - Stephen Hawking

This quote could not be more apt right now in this moment in my life. Recently, I have been very reflective over the past year and how I got to the point I am at now. This time last year, I was in a very different place; I was in a relationship that was slowly breaking down and it left me feeling very worthless and used by a person who did not treat me with respect, I was fearing my last year of uni and the job hunt after graduation and just generally having a wave of depression and anxiety 24/7.

Fast forward to the present moment, I have graduated with a first class honours degree and I have been awarded the DM Trust Derek Holder prize for best dissertation in the area of data driven and digital marketing. I was headhunted for my dream job in an award winning media agency and have already been working since May, working with well known clients, as well as helped to set up the 2018 World Cup Rocket League ads which were viewed by millions during the live coverage of the World Cup. I have been the face of the Samaritans February and March direct mail campaign, I have been on Sky news, on the BBC Newsbeat website and in The Guardian, The Mighty, Mind and The Debrief. 

I have also met a man who has made me realise how strong I am. Whenever I am feeling mentally or physically unwell, he pushes me through it all. He makes me feel like I am invincible. He encourages me to be the best version of me and never lets me admit defeat. He makes me feel present in life; this time last year I was extremely mentally unwell and did not feel like I was living in the present moment, it was almost as if I was watching me live my life. But since I met Brad, I feel like I am living my life again. I don't feel like I need to rely on him for happiness, but he helps me get through all the hard times. 
Although, I would not have got to this point so soon after my mental 'blip' if it was not for Samaritans. When I was at my lowest last year, I did not want to live in the present moment. It was as if I wanted to flick the off switch for a bit and just escape the thoughts and the reality of what my life was at the time. One morning when I was home alone, I decided to call Samaritans. I had emailed them in the past and that helped me to some extent, but this time I needed immediate help and someone to talk to. I had been waiting 8 months for my CBT and it did not look like it was going to happen any time soon, but Samaritans where there for me. Today they are holding an event called The Big Listen, to raise awareness of the fact that they are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year round, for anyone who needs help. Last year they answered over 5 million calls, however they need more funds in order to carry on helping everyone who needs them. 
A few months ago I visited the Samaritans head office and was interviewed by the CEO Ruth Sutherland on an onstage panel; we discussed how Samaritans has helped me and how we can raise awareness and funds to help others. Since visiting the office, they have all been so supportive of me (as they were before); they have continuously checked up on me and congratulated me when I graduated and got a job. Which is why I have been so eager to get involved in The Big Listen campaign. I have signed up as a Social Champion for them and will be helping recruit other champions and donors for the campaign. Would you like to join me? If you do, you can sign up here: I WANNA JOIN YOU
Throughout today, you can win prizes for spreading the word, and you will also get access to the special Champion Dashboard to help you measure your impact and see how your posts online have helped Samaritans be there for those who need them. It is such a rewarding way to give back to a charity who do so much to help others! 

You can also check out their S.H.U.S.H listening tips below!

Join me and be a Social Champion, also donate if you can by following this link: https://spsr.me/Xhwy

Thank you for all the continued support and most importantly, thank you to Samaritans for helping me get to this point in my life! 

Comments

Back to Top