6 Ways to Take a Step Back


Lockdown has been a weird one for everyone. Going from commuting to London every day for work, to now just walking downstairs, that element of routine and normality has suddenly been taken away from us. 

Your work and home lives blur and suddenly you're spending your days off still in the 'office'. For me, it was really important to have a clear divide between home and work. However, this became more difficult as time went on, as work became busier and it was becoming more and more evident that we would not be going back to the office anytime soon. 

I would find myself in a constant state of anxiety, being overwhelmed by the constant negativity in the news, and the lack of breaks I was giving myself. One thing I have found really useful during this time is knowing when to take a step back and give myself a break from it all. Here are 6 ways to help take a step back and look after your mental and physical health. 

1. Go for walks

It is clearly evident that I am not the biggest lover of exercise, however, if there is one thing that has come from this lockdown, is my new love for walks. Helping to separate my work and personal life, walks are the perfect thing to do every day if you can. Just a quick 10 mins or even a few hours. Getting yourself out of the house, experiencing different scenery and breathing in the fresh air can really help to end the day on a positive and help switch off from work. 

2. Switch off the news

This is a big one for me. I don't necessarily watch the news, however, it is everywhere. Twitter is my biggest issue at the moment. It seems that this is where all of the negative news is hosted. What was once a really positive platform is slowly turning into an anxiety-inducing newspaper. We are so exposed to all of the negativity in the world, that we often become too engrossed and forget about the positives. Switch it off. Avoid the news. Still remain educated but don't let it take over your life. 

3. Limit screen time

Following on from my second tip, limit your screen time. Working from home has meant I have worked long hours and not given myself much of a break. The fact that we haven't been able to go out a lot, has meant we are all turning to screens whether that be Netflix or social media. Screen fatigue is a real thing and it can have a serious impact on your physical and mental health. Take a step back, switch off your phone, TV, and laptop, and do something different, like go for a walk!

4. Get creative

One thing I have been doing to limit my screen time art! Paint by numbers is my new favourite thing... even though they are like gold dust at the moment! I spent a good 3 hours the other day doing one and I found myself completely switched off from the world. I was completely focussed on one thing and letting my creativity take over... and the best thing is, you don't need to be good at art. Something so simple can help massively.

5. Develop a positive space online

As I've mentioned, Twitter especially has been a negative space for me. I have found myself muting and blocking so many people to try and may my feed more positive. I have avoided the trends and really limited my use of the platform. Instead, I have interacted with social media channels which make me feel positive, one being TikTok (although recent news is showing that I probably shouldn't have it). 

Facebook is surprisingly also a channel I have enjoyed, with more positive news about engagements, pregnancies, and funny videos. It is so important that you create a positive space online for yourself. Delete that apps that feed into your anxiety, block people who bring negativity. You are in control of what you engage with.

6. Acknowledge the positives

With so much negativity in the world, it is often very easy to forget the positives. I have really tried my best to keep thinking of the positives. For me it has been about my family being healthy, being in a happy relationship, getting a new job, and looking forward to being a maid of honour for my sister. Remember that not everything in the world is bad. There is always something good out there, you just need to look a little bit harder for it. 

Although this is not an exhaustive list, taking the time to apply these to your day-to-day life will make a world of difference to you. It is so important that we look after ourselves and the ones we love, especially during times like this. Be kind, be caring, and most importantly, remember to take a step back!

Comments

  1. Always happy when I see you've got a new post, Soph!! These are some excellent tips, and I couldn't agree more with muting/removing people (or even, yourself) from social media. That's done me the world of good during these last few months. Focusing instead on the platforms that do bring me joy, or other creative outlets in my life, has been such a refreshment! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Back to Top