Unwelcome in the Blogging World

I feel like I have no place in the blogging or online 'world' anymore. I can't post content 24/7 like some other people are able to do and because of this, I feel forgotten about. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. When I tweeted how I felt, I got so many replies from people saying they could relate, that it was exactly the same as their own experience. Blogging/Twitter has evolved dramatically over the past 4 years since I started my blog and I'm not saying this is a bad thing, change is good and it is needed, however I feel like I've got lost along the way.

I feel like if you're not part of a clique, or not participating in the crazy (ridiculous) amounts of blog chats that are happening, you are invisible. You can't argue, there are cliques! This naturally happens in any environment so I'm not saying it's restricted to blogging/mental health etc but I do feel unwanted whenever I speak my mind online. This is very apparent in the 'mental health community'. I've bitten my tongue for too long now and I just feel like this needs to be said. I know it is a very touchy subject so I'm only going to talk about my experience as an individual.

I feel like I am not relevant in the MH community; I don't tweet about every panic attack I have or every exposure I do on a daily basis purely because 1) I don't feel I need to (it is completely fine if you feel you need/want to) and 2) Do people really care? My whole timeline would be filled with me saying "Yep, just had my 5th panic attack of the week".

I'm not in any way saying it's wrong for people to speak out when they're struggling and it is SO important for us to talk about mental health, but the reason why it is affecting me is because if I was to join in a mental health blog chat/meet up, I feel like I am not welcome. Because I don't openly express about my struggles online, people don't actually realise how bad I am/can be. No matter how many times someone says "You are welcome, you are part of the community" I just don't feel like I am.

I've seen the 'dark side' to blogging. Yes, it is not all white marble backgrounds, rose gold objects, cacti and Charlotte Tilbury lipsticks, I am fully aware of that and I'm not naive to think that it is. But when will people see what some people are really like? I've mentioned this in one of my recent posts but once again I can't keep looking at my Twitter timeline and seeing others gushing over people who have used and manipulated me in the past. Fair enough they might treat others differently but to me they are hiding behind a kind and caring persona. I know some other girls who have been affected by this as well so I know I'm not alone in this, which makes me feel physically sick to say. Being told that you're the only person someone has and you're the only one that keeps them fighting on, to then find out that you are one of many girls who 'helps' this person, just fills you with so much disgust.

All I want to do is help and care for people but this has been used and tarnished and I now know that not everyone is the same as how they present themselves online (obvious, right?!). People who have also been used in this way have explained how they feel behind closed doors, however, they haven't expressed it in the open like I have and still continue to gush over this person. I'm not sure but to me, that just seems like they are still naive and haven't truly convinced themselves that some people are not true friends. What confuses me the most is that it is so blatantly obvious that this is happening but no one seems to care.

It has been so damaging for me to trust someone with my feelings to then have it chucked back in my face for their own benefit. I am seeing tweets constantly about how much they are struggling and naturally people are replying with supportive messages (which does reassure me that there are nice people out there), but seeing these tweets and knowing deep down that this person is either making it all up or is emphasising on a tiny detail just to fit into a community, makes me so angry.

I know I've completely rambled and gone off of my point but I just need to let it all out now. I can't keep bottling it all up. Moving on to the main point; I feel I've been forgotten about. I knew it would happen one day and people can't make me think differently. When I started blogging I was a beauty blogger, I had my niche and I rolled with it. I connected with so many lovely people and made so many friends, some of which are still my friends today. But since changing to more of a lifestyle/MH blogger I have suddenly been left out of the loop.

I feel like if you're not blogging about the latest beauty must haves or the next thing in fashion, you are not part of the community. I put my heart and soul into my posts and get very little back and then there are some people who can write five lines of a blog post and suddenly they are the next best thing. I know it is not a competition and I am blogging for me and no one else but I'm only human, I will question why I'm not as good as others. I will question what I am doing differently to others, I can't help it. I just feel like I am wasting my time and I know many others who feel like this.

When I mentioned this on Twitter I was overwhelmed by the response. It's ironic that when I tweet about feeling forgotten, I get lots of replies! But that just sums it up. We are all feeling like this, but why? Some said they feel that because they don't run a beauty or a fashion blog, they have no where to fit in with the blogging world. This is exactly it! Blogging has changed from expressing how we feel, to just posting relatable content to gain exposure rapidly, hence why so many people are jumping on the blogging bandwagon thinking it is all fun and games. Others said they just feel like it's them and their blog and then everyone else. It is so hard to join in with blog chats because where you're not part of them weekly, you don't become part of the clique (using this word lightly) and it's basically like talking to a brick wall.

Tams on Twitter summed it up perfectly: "As much as everyone says 'You're welcome and wanted here' I call BS on it. I don't post regularly therefore I am not wanted." - @peachesandbear

I don't know what else I have to say really. I just feel very lost and numb, unwanted and kicked to the curb. I can't help that I feel like this and no one can make me feel differently. I guess I'll just have to keep plodding on.

Do you feel like this? What's your view on this subject?
Let me know in the comments or on Twitter!
Thank you for all of the support!

Comments

Back to Top