Your Guide to Battling the Twitter Timeline

With Twitter being at the forefront of our daily routines, it's only natural that we all get engulfed in the 'drama' and negativity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to say that everyone needs to be positive and friendly with everyone, but the negativity can get too much at times.

I have spoken about my views on social media in the past and how much it has affected me in both good and bad ways. Also, considering I want to work in social media, I naturally spend 90% of my time on it. But, I think we've all seen our fair share of negative tweets in the past week, and rightly so. It is not my place to say what has happened, but I know that a lot of people are seeing what I'm seeing; and if you're anything like me, it may have a negative effect on your mental wellbeing. 

So, I thought I'd put together a little 'guide to battling the Twitter timeline'. (This is a lighthearted post, but you never know, it may help).


The mute button is your best friend. 


This is hands down the best feature that Twitter have ever introduced. I use it pretty much everyday. I know for a fact people have muted me and that is fine! The main thing to remember, is that your timeline is YOURS. If you're seeing Tweets that you don't want to see, then mute! It's the perfect way to keep your timeline 'tidy', without having to break up friendships with people. 


Block that b***h!


Again, there is nothing wrong with using the block button. Social media opens you up to the whole world and it can be a very vulnerable place. You are literally laying your cards on the table for the world to see. Regain some of that power over your timeline, by blocking anyone who is either causing you upset, or just simply someone who you do not want following you. Remember, you are not obliged to let everyone know every detail about your life. You still have the power to 'hide' from certain people. I have blocked people in the past and still do now, purely because I do not want them to see my content, or they have a negative effect on my mental health.

Try to ignore. 


I know how easy it is to become engulfed in the 'drama'. It's normal, we all do it. But, obsessing over it and making it your life is not healthy. I know people who will try to create 'drama' for amusement. Some people do like to create something out of nothing. But, if it is beginning to take over your life, or just simply your timeline, IGNORE! By getting involved, it can escalate and get turned on you. It's nice that you either want to stick up for someone or support someone, but sometimes getting involved publicly, can cause more harm than good.

Think before you Tweet. 


I have been guilty of not thinking before I Tweet and it usually gets turned back on me. Once again, this is something that we all do, so it's ok! But, sometimes taking a step back and asking yourself "Would I be offended by this if someone else Tweeted this?" is the best thing to do.


Take time out!


It is perfectly ok to sign out. Take time away from Twitter and focus on you. Live in the moment and don't feel pressured to share it with the world.

So, that's your guide to battling the Twitter timeline!
Again, this is a lighthearted post and not directed to anyone. I think we all need reminding that, it is ok to take control of our social media. 

Comments

Back to Top